Have you subscibed?
Yes [ 19 ] ** [31.15%]
No [ 42 ] ** [68.85%]
If no, would you consider?
Yes [ 37 ] ** [60.66%]
No [ 4 ] ** [6.56%]
Dunno what is HD [ 3 ] ** [4.92%]
I answered yes to the Q1 [ 17 ] ** [27.87%]
If yes, what channels are you most interested in?
SPORTS [ 25 ] ** [40.98%]
HBO [ 21 ] ** [34.43%]
NGEO & HISTORY [ 15 ] ** [24.59%]
Total Votes: 61
Guests cannot vote 
rewlie
post Dec 17 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #41

Rank 8
Group Icon
Group Icon

Group: LGTC Member
Member No.: 7,948

QUOTE(Economist @ Dec 17 2009, 04:08 PM) *
yeah thats the main reason coz by mac 2010, tm will launch IPTV.......which is not prone to weather disruption...
just wondering coz wif centralized antenna i thought they wont allow for separate dish
anyway latest update...they just called me..free subscription till mac2010..only april 2010 need to pay! :D

IPTV, yeah weather proof, but how much can u expect the quality ranging from worst to best, scale 1-10, 5? I dont even think hit 2, streamyx we agree now already have 4mb, but only some area can cope that package, reason why because they dont have enough equipment yet to deploy high speed network overall the country. Underground fiber connection deployment of course will only hit major rich urban area, what about sub-urban area? I've seen house of org asli with Astro installed deep inside the jungle, but i dont think IPTV can do. I still remember one TV ads about org asli using streamyx, funny, but it doesnt happen actually in real world.

They gonna dump everything all together inside one backbone, 3g, streamyx, iptv, dialup connection, and we as a user suffer, not worth money paid.

The best video streaming i've experienced with no lag at all is from one of TM subsidiary facility, and that is under leased line worth 40K per month.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HWWT
post Dec 28 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #42

Rank 1
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,436

QUOTE(tao_k @ Dec 14 2009, 01:26 PM) *
history channel got many documentary with 3D scenes.. so i think will be best to view in HD

Thanks for the info you have provided. Was searching high and low for more information on the decoder input and output.

I spoke to an astro installer, it seems they have a converter to convert the signal to RF and with existing cabling (if you already have with previous decoder) then plug it into the 2nd TV. Quoted cost about RM170 for the converter and RM100 for installation. Yet to see the device and he did not mention how to use with the remote control. Additional device required?

The other option which I discovered would be to get HDMI IR CAT-5 Extender (1 set HDMI input with IR blaster and HDMI IR CAT-5 Receiver). It is using HDMI cable from decoder to device, then with 2 pairs of CAT-5 or CAT-6 (shielded) network cabling from sender to receiver and lastly HDMI cable from receiver to TV. The IR device will allow you to use the Astro remote control at all TV.

The second option is good because the flexibility of the network cabling and is cheaper than 100 feet of HDMI cables. HDMI cable has to be custom made and with distance limitation. However, in terms of cost the hardware could be expensive (about RM2,000).

I also found a similar cheaper version without IR (about RM250).

The only difference between the expensive and cheap device here is length. The expensive one allows up to 91m (300 feet) for 1080p whereas the alternative cheaper device only allows up to 30m (approx 100 feet) for 1080p and 60m (approx 200 feet) for 480p (degraded).

The other cost here will be the network cabling, CAT-5 and CAT-5e would cheaper compared to CAT-6 type cables and it has to be 2 points.

Among the options above, the RF converter is the cheapest and it may not give you the HD you want (yet to verify).

Hope these can help us explore how to get maximum ROI from our RM20 on the Astro Byond ... more $$$ to spend.

+Quote Post
HWWT
post Dec 28 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #43

Rank 1
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,436

QUOTE(Nick277 @ Dec 14 2009, 01:55 PM) *
The problem that a lot of people will have, including me is some of us connect Astro decoder to more than 1 TV. If you have previously wired your house (as most people have) with the coaxial/RG-6 cabling then it might not work with this. (disclaimer: i say might cos im not sure)

Behind the new astro B.yond decoder there is one HDMI output and also RGB and composite video connectors. It doesn't have the RG-6/coaxial cable output like previous decoders.

Scenario 1 === 2 or more LCD TV and you want to watch HD on all of them
If you have (for example) 3 LCD TV (HD) then you need 3 HDMI cables... but to do that you need to buy a HDMI splitter. and rewire your house with 3 long HDMI cables. I am not sure of the length it can go without causing problems. Related problem is how do you change the channel from the other rooms (in the old system you can use an IR repeater which the signal can send thru the coaxial cable). I guess need to find RF IR repeater.

Scenario 2 === 2 or more LCD TV but you only want to watch HD on the main LCD and the others SD pun ok
Slightly easier in this case. Put the decoder below the main LCD and use HDMI cable to connect direct. For the other LCD TVs in the house you can use the legacy connectors (Composite Video/RGB). Remember there is no RG-6/coaxial connector.

I'm going for scenario 2 but have a lot of questions
- Can i wire composite video cable (Yellow-Video, White and Red-Audio for L/r) for 100 feet?
- Same as above RGB?
- Anyway to convert composite video/rgb to RG-6?

Still researching.... anyone know more than me please share... :p
Photos of the decoder (link taken from LYN) <--- website in chinese, dont understand but just put ur mouse on the top left of the photo then you can click on the various photos to see

http://cblog.cari.com.my/html/59/192959-216303.html

Sorry, clicked on wrong button. I have replied on your queries.

+Quote Post
Economist
post Dec 29 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #44

Call me EDON GOH =)
Group Icon
Group Icon

Member No.: 132

Just got the byond installed yday....so TnC confirmed on 17/12 installed on 28/12.......around 10 calendars as promised...not too bad.......

i have 2 issues though......not sure if anyone can help me

1) volume on SD channels is soft...however this only happens after changing fr HD channels to SD channels...if i on it n tune straight to SD channel, volume is ok.......weird????????

2) for audio settings only can set to analogue n not dolby..if set to digital the HD channels no sound...takkan my LCD dont support? using LG42FR......ter, can verify this?

thanks

--------------------
"There is a mentality at the football club. There is something ingrained at the club that gives them that edge."

"In every competition we do our best, even if we are not going to win it," he said of his game-by-game approach to the rest of the season. "We have to win the game, that's the attitude of Manchester United; we have to do that."

+Quote Post
Nick277
post Dec 29 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #45

Rank 11
Group Icon
Group Icon

Member No.: 27

QUOTE(HWWT @ Dec 28 2009, 07:19 PM) *
Sorry, clicked on wrong button. I have replied on your queries.
thx. at the time of your posting i already have my astro installed. i opted to use composite video cables. So i have the main LCD connected using HDMI for HD video and the other 3 LCD using composite video (RCA cables) stretching 15m, 18m, and 23m. Got a composite video amplifier/splitter for RM85 and it works well after tests done yesterday. I can only watch SD quality on the composite video connections but it looks better than RF cable.. i think.Now i need to look for a wireless IR repeater for the remote... :s

QUOTE(Economist @ Dec 29 2009, 09:08 AM) *
Just got the byond installed yday....so TnC confirmed on 17/12 installed on 28/12.......around 10 calendars as promised...not too bad.......i have 2 issues though......not sure if anyone can help me1) volume on SD channels is soft...however this only happens after changing fr HD channels to SD channels...if i on it n tune straight to SD channel, volume is ok.......weird????????2) for audio settings only can set to analogue n not dolby..if set to digital the HD channels no sound...takkan my LCD dont support? using LG42FR......ter, can verify this?thanks

(1) - i told u on SB yesterday ma haha. many said this too in LYN. this is cos u using HDMI cable i think.
(2) - ermm.. tak tau. must read LYN liao. lol

--------------------
To join LGTC click here :)

Does having 2 Mitsus in your house make you a fan boy? :) I no longer officially own my Lancer but i'm still paying for it :s

+Quote Post
terion
post Dec 29 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #46

Got Android?
Group Icon
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

i think if u set to digital, u probably need to connect via the optical out? does the new decoder have optical out? or SPDIF out?

but weird if ur using HDMI and they still call it analogue...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Economist
post Dec 29 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #47

Call me EDON GOH =)
Group Icon
Group Icon

QUOTE(terion @ Dec 29 2009, 11:03 AM) *
i think if u set to digital, u probably need to connect via the optical out? does the new decoder have optical out? or SPDIF out?but weird if ur using HDMI and they still call it analogue...

wui speak english hahahah........anyway pics here.......

Attached Image

Attached Image

QUOTE(Nick277 @ Dec 29 2009, 10:23 AM) *
(1) - i told u on SB yesterday ma haha. many said this too in LYN. this is cos u using HDMI cable i think.

so this one every1 also kena? not only me la? ada apa solution?

--------------------
"There is a mentality at the football club. There is something ingrained at the club that gives them that edge."

"In every competition we do our best, even if we are not going to win it," he said of his game-by-game approach to the rest of the season. "We have to win the game, that's the attitude of Manchester United; we have to do that."

+Quote Post
terion
post Dec 29 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #48

Got Android?
Group Icon
Group Icon

if thst not english what u called it? doh.gif

u need to chk ur astro decoder, just like ur ps3, it has optical out. so maybe in the astro decoder settings, setting it to output digital probably means setting the audio to the optical port and not HDMI...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Economist
post Dec 29 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #49

Call me EDON GOH =)
Group Icon
Group Icon

QUOTE(terion @ Dec 29 2009, 11:34 AM) *
if thst not english what u called it? doh.gif

u need to chk ur astro decoder, just like ur ps3, it has optical out. so maybe in the astro decoder settings, setting it to output digital probably means setting the audio to the optical port and not HDMI...

wui my knowledge in audio settings is at NOOB level la wei.....ok so for ps3 its thru HDMI i suppose? since i dont haf such prob.....

but how 2 confirm if setting digital on decoder is to optical port n not HDMI?

--------------------

+Quote Post
terion
post Dec 29 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #50

Got Android?
Group Icon
Group Icon

in the ps3 can set as hdmi or digital out or analogue... but not sure whether the same settings means the same thing in ur HD astro decoder

--------------------

+Quote Post
Economist
post Dec 29 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #51

Call me EDON GOH =)
Group Icon
Group Icon

QUOTE(terion @ Dec 29 2009, 11:47 AM) *
in the ps3 can set as hdmi or digital out or analogue... but not sure whether the same settings means the same thing in ur HD astro decoder

i didnt even set anything on ps3...must be thru HDMI i suppose

--------------------

+Quote Post
tao_k
post Dec 29 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #52

Rank 11
Group Icon
Group Icon

Member No.: 480

QUOTE(Economist @ Dec 29 2009, 11:43 AM) *
wui my knowledge in audio settings is at NOOB level la wei.....ok so for ps3 its thru HDMI i suppose? since i dont haf such prob.....

but how 2 confirm if setting digital on decoder is to optical port n not HDMI?
so far as i know.. digital sound output for AV equipment is through SPDIF or optical only, correct me if i'm wrong

--------------------
Come join us & be part of Lancer GT Club's family.. Click Here!

+Quote Post
rizalseven
post Jan 1 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #53

Rank 2
Group Icon
Group Icon

Member No.: 562

for those who oledi subscribed astro beyond,how's the picture quality?it is nice?it is real HD?

+Quote Post
Nick277
post Jan 2 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #54

Rank 11
Group Icon
Group Icon

QUOTE(rizalseven @ Jan 1 2010, 11:06 PM) *
for those who oledi subscribed astro beyond,how's the picture quality?it is nice?it is real HD?

very good. yes real HD 1080i

--------------------

Does having 2 Mitsus in your house make you a fan boy? :) I no longer officially own my Lancer but i'm still paying for it :s

+Quote Post
tango
post Jan 2 2010, 02:36 AM
Post #55

Rank 8
Group Icon
Group Icon

Group: LGTC Alumni
Member No.: 1,464

QUOTE(Nick277 @ Jan 2 2010, 12:06 AM) *

Bros Nick277 and Economist,

as a subscriber to Astro Byond, the available HD channels are only 5 channels for the moment. The remaining non-HD channels that is offered on standard or various subscriptions are still available ka? Of course these channels will not be broadcasted in HD format. But are they viewable (albeit being in non-HD format) or are these non-HD channels completely blocked?

+Quote Post
Nick277
post Jan 2 2010, 03:09 AM
Post #56

Rank 11
Group Icon
Group Icon

QUOTE(tango @ Jan 2 2010, 02:36 AM) *

as a subscriber to Astro Byond, the available HD channels are only 5 channels for the moment. The remaining non-HD channels that is offered on standard or various subscriptions are still available ka? Of course these channels will not be broadcasted in HD format. But are they viewable (albeit being in non-HD format) or are these non-HD channels completely blocked?

yes only 5 channels for now but there are more wil be launched in the near future form what i heard and posted.

basically it works like this. u still have all the channels u used to have on the same channel numbers (depending on what package u subscribed). then you get additional channel numbers for HD. which means i have HBO as well as HBO HD. NatGeo as well as NatGeo HD etc etc.

The RM20 you pay is for the HD channels. However to get lets say for example the Astrosport HD channel, you need to be subscribed to the sports package. i.e. you need to have the SD channel subscribed before you can view the HD channel.

hope this helps... cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
tango
post Jan 2 2010, 03:27 AM
Post #57

Rank 8
Group Icon
Group Icon

Group: LGTC Alumni
Member No.: 1,464

QUOTE(Nick277 @ Jan 2 2010, 03:09 AM) *
yes only 5 channels for now but there are more wil be launched in the near future form what i heard and posted.

basically it works like this. u still have all the channels u used to have on the same channel numbers (depending on what package u subscribed). then you get additional channel numbers for HD. which means i have HBO as well as HBO HD. NatGeo as well as NatGeo HD etc etc.

The RM20 you pay is for the HD channels. However to get lets say for example the Astrosport HD channel, you need to be subscribed to the sports package. i.e. you need to have the SD channel subscribed before you can view the HD channel.

hope this helps... cheers

Oh I see...thank you kindly for the explanation Bro Nick277. I fully understand the concept now.

Wishing you every moment of joy with your new found HD accessibility thumbsup.gif

Finally there is a valid reason to get a full HD TV now smile.gif

+Quote Post
rewlie
post Jan 2 2010, 04:17 AM
Post #58

Rank 8
Group Icon
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,948

Even though non-HD channel, the picture quality still improve a lot since now connected via HDMI, whats more on HD :), go get ur full HD tv now buddy !

+Quote Post
kromosom
post Jan 3 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #59

Rank 3
Group Icon
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,758

i only wish tv3 on astro can be improved. I'm using composite MONSTER cable on my Astro decoder on a full HD 42 incher. ..so far the quality is not bad. still 50-50 to subscribe or not, wish for 1080p from RTM...in the near future...huh

--------------------

+Quote Post
Economist
post Jan 4 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #60

Call me EDON GOH =)
Group Icon
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nick277 @ Jan 2 2010, 12:06 AM) *

some are 720p..for eg ESPN HD

bro, u only get the HD channels for the package u subscribe...if u subscribe Discovery then u will get Discovery n Histroy HD...or else like me only sports package so only supersport HD.........

QUOTE(tango @ Jan 2 2010, 03:27 AM) *
Oh I see...thank you kindly for the explanation Bro Nick277. I fully understand the concept now.

Wishing you every moment of joy with your new found HD accessibility thumbsup.gif

Finally there is a valid reason to get a full HD TV now :smile:

technically u only need HD ready tv eheheh...coz max its 1080i...but dont invest in OLD TECHNOLOGY =P

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 03:00 PM
Blue Night Copyright © 2008 xcine